Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2018

View from the top - mast climb

One procedure that needs to be 100% before venturing offshore is to make sure I can safely and efficiently ascend (and descend) the 21m mast. I had plenty of opportunities to conduct a good inspection of the mast and rigging before we stepped the mast back into the boat.

Now the electronics are working it was time to remove my Raymarine Wind Transducer and Windex Windvane to ensure I have sufficient air draft to navigate the Roompotsluis (Lock) fixed bridge and exit into the North Sea. I enter the lock at low water to maximise my air draft, transit to the waiting pontoon on the seaward side, climb the mast and stick all the bits back on. Not exactly ideal but I know the mast height to be 19.850m to the water and the bridge height is min 18.5m and max 21m. Every bit counts!

Anyway, back to the climb. I use a modified TopClimber with a rock climbing 'sit' harness and a spare safety ascender. Basic process is you connect a halyard to a strongpoint (I use the Vang bracket), clip on your upper an lower ascenders, place your feet in the stirrups and then leap frog your way to the top of the mast. I clip the safety ascender to a second halyard parallel to the first. Once you clear the obstacles like radars and spreaders and get into a rhythm the going is fairly easy.
Heres a couple of videos from above.





No comments:

Post a Comment